About Decimal Engineering

Decimal Engineering, Inc. began in 1967 in a 2,500 square-foot facility located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Several years later, it moved to a 4,000 square-foot facility, remaining in Fort Lauderdale.

In 1980, Arthur L. Garey left the corporate world to become a business owner himself by purchasing Decimal. Garey divided ownership by keeping 70% to himself and his wife, Priscilla, and leaving the remaining 30% to his sons, Alan, Mark and Kevin.

Shortly thereafter, Garey updated his small business by purchasing some automated equipment. With this “modernization,” Decimal quickly outgrew the 4,000 square-foot building which led Garey to expand, bringing the total building square footage to 7,600.

A few years later Decimal’s tremendous growth forced them to relocate to Pompano Beach, Florida where they purchased a 23,500 square-foot building situated on just over 2 acres. 1986 brought further expansion by adding another 14,000 square feet.

In 1992, Garey’s sons entered into a Trust Agreement (see Forbes article “GRAT-itude” Jan. 1994) with their parents for the additional 70% over the next 11 years. The business continued to grow steadily until 1996 when Decimal exploded, doubling their employee base and nearly tripling their sales.

Over the years, Decimal has grown from a small sheet metal “job shop” to a full-service manufacturing facility. In addition to sheet metal fabrication, the company has expanded its services to include CNC machining, laser cutting, metal stamping, and wire EDM. Decimal continues to grow its business by acquiring cutting-edge technology and state-of-the-art equipment. Decimal’s highly trained engineering department can take a part/print from concept to completion with the latest and greatest engineering and programming software.

Currently, Decimal is fully automated and employs 90+ people, working 3 shifts. Meeting customer needs is a top priority, and Decimal has gone above and beyond to ensure that its customers receive quality parts on a time-sensitive basis. As a result, sales have grown an average of 12% per year for the last several years. The Decimal team is proudly dedicated to creativity, integrity, ownership, sense of urgency, and service excellence.

^